20 May 2014

Another account of the London type-in


There's not much I can add to Rob and Piotr's accounts of Sunday's type-in, so my post will mostly be photographic, and I'll look at the individual typewriters used. I've also included a scan of one of the pages that got typed during the type-in, on the Harrods. We shuffled them around a bit so there are words from most of us.


The Harrods is an absolutely brilliant machine. I wasn't sure what to expect, given my love of late 1950s Torpedoes, with this being from the early '30s. It had a professional servicing before I bought it and it shows.


The first Kolibri I've ever used—the East Germans once again made an engineering marvel built up to a standard rather than down to a price. (Sorry, Empire Aristocrat) It came with this lovely green ribbon spool.






The Imperial needs a bit of work and cleaning up, but it still exceeded my expectations and I'm quite impressed with the touch.



The chips were rather good, too. The conversation was, of course, even better. Even though it's the only type-in I've been to, I'd say it's the best kind—informal and with food.

Sent from my Harrods Torpedo

11 comments:

  1. Nick - London is your first Type-In? I'd say that's f'ing badass and can't be beat. What an experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Nick, you have been to one more type-in than I've ever attended and in London too! Glad you are enjoying your trip. Those are some mighty fine looking typewirters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, my second Type-In and the attendance rose from two to five, so expecting a massive crowd at the next. Seriously, well done for organising it and it really was a pleasure to meet you, W, Piotr and of course Jim. I'm seriously impressed that so little typing was actually done. It just fuels my argument that "it isn't just about typewriters".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent! Your experience echoes mine as well. Lots of chatter, not so much typing in terms of volume of words types, but a variety of machines, much admiration for their designs and longevity (some head scratching), good food and great people. Bravo!! Congrats on the acquisitions too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this warmly atmospheric post. LLTT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks wonderful. Nice to see some people I met last year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beer, Fish and chips and mushy peas! Perfect! Must get myself a Kolibri.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mcgettigan here -- aargh, what we missed -- was taking part in the Brompton folder Urban Challenge--late to the scene, checked various outdoor spots no luck, Next Time, will try to get your cell! Thank goodness these photos are up so can have a look at least. cheers mike, aka
    www.phillytyper.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very useful information. I appreciate your effort for creating this informative blog. Thanks for providing it.
    Accounting service in London,

    ReplyDelete