12 Jul 2015

Experience Proper Awesome


This post is long overdue. But I couldn't forget to teach you how to Experience Proper Awesome, could I? In Canada, things aren't just awesome. They're proper awesome, according to Parks Canada. I'm inclined to agree because British Columbia is my favorite place on the continent.


Here is a map of our May 2015 trip.


The new territory began near Bellingham, WA. Here is a view of Mount Garibaldi (BC) from Everson, WA.


Some sky, hills, a train, and a field.


There were Tesla charging stations in Kamloops, BC—the Trans-Canada highway is the longest road you can drive in a Tesla.


Further along on a 1-lane bridge over the Thompson River.


I think these are the Inverness Peaks.


We saw them near the Revelstoke Dam.


This is the monument to the opening of the Trans-Canada Highway in 1962.


A view of part of the seemingly endless Canadian Rockies.


This is the aptly named Reflection Lake, south of Golden, BC.  British Columbia has several mountain ranges with lakes and rivers running in the valleys between.


Wapta Falls is at the end of an easy hike in Yoho National Park.


Castle Mountain really looks like a castle.


Pilot Mountain, AB, is probably my favorite mountain now...


Isn't it a wonderful place?


There were some bighorn sheep near Castle Mountain. At this place, the 2-lane road splits into two separate 1-lane roads.


Nelson is one of the nicest small towns in the world. Population 9980, but with more culture than the whole of Calgary. (I suppose you know how I feel about rodeo)


Nearing the BC/WA border again at Blueberry Creek, BC.


Back in the home state amongst the fields of grain in Wilbur, WA.


I always liked these desolate ruler-straight roads.


More topographic texture at Coulee Dam, WA.


Looking backwards from the same place.


Dry Falls of the Grand Coulee, once the world's largest waterfall.


One of the coulees running across Washington. They were carved by the rushing waters when ancient Lake Missoula emptied.



I didn't take as many photos on this trip as usual, since we've been taking more videos. But I think this covered most of the interesting points on our road trip.

7 comments:

  1. So beautiful and unspoiled!

    My wife has been to Nelson, but for one reason or another I have never even set foot in Canada yet. It's a disgrace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's different from the United States; you can really feel the north. The 49th parallel may be arbitrary, but like the Michigan-Indiana border, there are natural changes happening anyway.

      As for Nelson, its history is an interesting one. When we were there I was convinced that it had at least a population of 25000. It feels like a university town or an out-of-the-way state/provincial capital, though it is neither of those things.

      Delete
  2. Canada is a beautiful place. Some of the things I love the most about living in the north are the temperate forests and outstanding mountain ranges (Just that that overall "North" feel to the scenery), and no place else exemplifies that quite like the lands of the maple leaf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I whole-heartedly agree. Even the more dull things like prairies are more northern (and therefore better). There are just so many different parts of Canada I want to see, now.

      Delete
  3. Yes truly "Proper Awsome!" God's country really. Nice trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed. It looks like an absolutely (proper) beautiful part of the world. I wonder if I'll ever get to go there!

    ReplyDelete