29 Oct 2014

Remington in 24 hours

1948 Remington Model 5 De Luxe BT1616262


*I meant to say after I bought it, since it was listed buy-it-now.
There was a time of about 25 hours between finding this and getting it delivered.












I love the tiny "De Luxe" decal

Age and experience doesn't necessarily make a better typewriter. I think the folding Portable 2 is actually more pleasant to use. I haven't yet used a Portable 3 to compare it with that.


I got the two out to compare, and there is definitely more going on than just a higher typebar housing. The angle of the type is higher, which explains the higher body. Kinda obvious!

Sent from my new Remington Model 5 De Luxe

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the great find. My experience with Goodwill and the Salvation Army is both do a great job packing typewirters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had bad luck with the first typewriter I bought from shopgoodwill, so I've been wary ever since. I shouldn't be though, because all the others were packed just fine.

      Delete
  2. That machine looks nice and crisp. I'm not a fan of the crinkle paint on 5 DeLuxe (or on almost any other machine ;) ).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always loved the looks of these, and you've photographed yours exceedingly well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! I love the two-tone. It wasn't quite as obvious in the pic you sent, and it was only after I looked up the serial number and saw the notation about the two-tone that I looked more closely and saw it. Looks great in these pics, and is a nice confirmation of the new Remington numbers from Sheridan. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before I actually took a careful look at the listing photos for this, I had always thought these were single-tone grey, so I was surprised to find that it wasn't.

      Delete
  5. I do like the look of these machines, especially the chrome carriage advance levers. Your photography always elevates these things to an art icon! Thanks for the quality presentation

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am interested in buying Remington Portable 3. I plan of using it regulary so what are your thoughts about it. I really like the looks but i dont know anything about its typing capabilities. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Remington Portable 2 or Model 5 would be better for regular typing in my experience.

      Delete