11 Dec 2014

Would you like a typewriter calendar?

Recently, Joe Van Cleave's post has given me the idea to create a typewriter calendar. It'll be a nice photography project for me, and something pleasant to grace your walls with. W and I already bought our 2015 calendar (because it's the best non-typewriter calendar ever), but there's no reason to not make a typewriter one, too. Perhaps it's a bit late in the year to be starting a project like this, but I think it ought to be ready to order by Christmas!  I'd prefer to be able to design the calendar from scratch rather than just insert photos into an online template, but I'm looking into various ways of going about making this.

So what do you think? Would you be interested in buying a typewriter calendar this year? I'm not thinking of giving it a specific theme, other than including only pre-WWII portable machines as a general rule (with exceptions for a few that fit the theme but were made in the late 40s or early 50s). I will be taking all-new photos for the calendar.  Have a look through my collection on the typewriter database. What do you want to see on your wall during the upcoming year? Would you rather see detail shots, full views, or a mix of the two? Let me know in the comments!

In the meantime, here are the first two parts of an aborted four-part photography session for my collection that I took this previous summer. I arranged them by year of manufacture so this covers 1920 through 1956. They're pretty outdated at this point, with machines I've sold, and missing machines I've since bought.



10 comments:

  1. I would love to see a Brother portable/department store typewriter calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a fine stable of fillies there! :D
    and yes, a typewriter calendar would be most interesting..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in. As for subject matter, I'd leave that to whatever might be dear to your heart, full view or detail, especially if there was a place for a line or two of your comment on each shot. Do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah!

    You're a great photographer, I trust you. I guess I'd suggest full views of unusual machines, but I'll buy whatever calendar you create. Just take my money!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in. I figure I'd have to be, as chief instigator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely yes! Do what you wish -I totally trust your artistic and aesthetic sense. You've got a great eye - do what turns you on!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes. The Halda would be nice. Possibly the impy. Mix of domestic and foreign and pre and post-war.

    algae

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been thinking about a calendar for years, but have simply been too damn lazy to work on one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! Any of your fine typewriters would look great on a calendar. Picking only 12 is the most difficult. Perhaps the most difficult to find to the more common. I'll let it to you as I fully trust your judgment and fine photography.

    ReplyDelete