3 Dec 2014

Kittens!



I love going back to Michigan to visit my family. It's somewhat of a surreal experience each time, going back to the family home—I didn't exactly spend my childhood there but the last three years before moving out, a whirlwind of conflict, were spent there. Of course, now going back is nothing like when I lived there because all the conflict seemed to evaporate after I left. Really, it's like visiting a rose-tinted memory.






But this time, there were two new additions to the family! Two identical black cat sisters, Ebony and Onyx. The only way to tell them apart is by counting how many white whiskers they have. Allegedly you can tell by their reactions to blowing in their faces, but that's not a very nice way to greet them. Sometimes a behavior pattern makes for a clear indication, as one of them (I don't remember which) is really cuddly at certain times of the day and can't stay off your lap or out of your way.





They're both equally adorable though and some of the best cats I've ever had the pleasure to spend time with—sweet, gentle, playful, and patient. They've destroyed more than their share of things over the months but I never saw any evidence of it. They must have been on their best behavior for the guests.




I grew up with cats my whole life and our family was never without a cat or three, but since I've moved out I haven't had the chance to adopt one yet. Spending time with Onyx and Ebony really reminded me how much I missed having a cat… as much as I love Ned, our black lab, he's still not a cat! When we move, in a year or two, we'll get a house with a proper yard and then it's only a matter of finding the right cat (or cats maybe!).




I ended up doing more interesting things than I expected while away, including a last-minute visit to my grandparents in Colorado who finally got to meet W, so I didn't end up spending as much time working on my typewriter research projects as I thought I would. Expect to see some more of that this month as I return back to schedule!



9 comments:

  1. Kitties!
    Yes, you need a pocket tiger or two around the house to keep your typewriters well-guarded. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pocket tiger reminds me of the dream tiger… :D

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSrurcOp-EE&spfreload=10

      Delete
  2. Do cats and typewriters go together? I have three of the little rascals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice cats! Great names. We've been thinking of perhaps getting another cat when we move to another house sometime next year, but I'm not certain how Madame (our current master, or rather, mistress) will cope with it all. Only one way to find out, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandma used to expect every black cat had to be named "Blackie", it's good to see a continued bucking of the grandmaternal tradition!

      Delete
  4. Very nice post! I'm glad you had a pleasant visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I couldn't stop saying that to myself every time I saw them! (which was pretty much all day long)

      Delete