4 Dec 2014

Consul 1972


1972 Consul 235 2 235 07301

















It is impossible to argue that Zbrojovka Brno didn't make some of the most beautiful typewriters of the 60s and 70s. The lines are so clean and pure, and the color choices are often perfect and don't look dated today.

Notice how the 235 has different style keys compared to the 221.1. These were actually produced concurrently for 2 years, with the newer keys on the ultraportables. Eventually, by about 1973, the larger portables also had the newer trapezoidal keys. But more on that later!




Sent from my new Consul 235

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that one is a stunner! :D

    Now I am sad that I never see Consuls in thrift stores. ):

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a semi-regular occurrence back when I lived in Michigan—two of my Consuls were found locally.

      Delete
  2. I had just picked up a little blue 232 and was eyeing a blue 235 when I came across your lovely post, here. Thank you. I got the 235. This post inspired me! My 221 is brown and has a Czech keyboard, so I didn't "compete the set", but what a group of solid, usable machines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting to get one of the brown 221s, so that is pretty nice! They came in more colors in Czechoslovakia than they were exported with.

      Delete