2 Mar 2014

Союз авторучка / Soyuz fountain pen






From what I can tell, this pen was two steps up from a cheap school pen and two steps down from the most expensive pens that I'm assuming only party members would usually have. (or if I'm overcomplicating things, the middle pen of a range of 3) Being made in the USSR, the "brand name" isn't particularly important. This doesn't say "Союз" anywhere on it. In fact, there are no letters on it at all. As with all pens, it ought to get even better to use over time as it adjusts to my hand. The nib is fairly broad and there is a little bit of flex to it, though it's not obvious when writing because the variation of the line is so slight.

Written with my new Союз fountain pen.

10 comments:

  1. The name of my new pen is "Soyuz". Hey! I can still read Russian! I suppose Soyuz may have had subsequently cool associations. After all, Apollo was an obscure member of the Pantheon before the space race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Close but not quite. :) It would be 'I like my new "Soyuz" fountain pen.'

      I think it had a connotation of Soviet superiority, perhaps, haha.

      …I spelled Apollo wrong. :(

      Delete
  2. Unlike Rob, I can't read Russian. It looks like a nice pen in any case. I've never seen a Russian fountain pen. $20.00, good price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That hooded nib design (and the pen overall) is based on the classic Parker 51 which was released in 1941 and went on to become one of their biggest sellers. I have a cheap, Chinese-made "Hero" brand pen of similar design, but I have to say mine is a very scratchy writer. Some amateur nib re-grinding may be in order, but I'm sure I'll destroy the nib in the process.
    Nice score, Nick! And, you already know what I think of your handwriting, sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention that it has the nicest piston filler. Well, nicer than the Lamy converter at least. XD

      I prefer to not think of it as nib grinding. XD I just have a little 12 000 extra fine fingernail filer-type thing that is quite gentle on the nib. I'd definitely recommend trying it out because it's not easy to make a mistake. :)

      Delete
  4. Ooh, that's quite an attractive design (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it is reminiscent of my high school Parker 51. Nice deep blue ink. And I'm going to hazard a guess that the warm wooden background is the table of a vintage guillotine-style paper cutter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it is. One of the more indispensable tools I own. :)

      Delete
  6. Looks indeed very similar to a Hero fountain pen I had many moons ago...
    Знаеш - я думаю што Ты должэн был написать "...моя новая авторучка 'Союз'" если "она красивая" ;)
    Ну ничего - тепер я ждаю этих рассказов! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Russian is coming along well. And your handwriting knocks most people's into a corner.

    ReplyDelete