10 Mar 2014

Another look at the Everest Jolson




Basically, the ideal situation would be increase the height of part A, but that is also the hardest thing to get to. The platen can't be easily removed to access these parts (the right knob unscrews, but the platen won't come out without disassembling the sides of the carriage) and adding height would be a pretty tedious thing to do. The other main thing would be to file down part D that ratchets the toothed wheel, but that wouldn't be following the original design. I don't want to make any mistakes since this is rare, but I also want to be able to type at full speed with it.

I have tried adjusting a couple of the little bits in the ratchet mechanism that can be adjusted, and they only help to make the linespacing work at 1 line sometimes, rather than a proper complete solution, so the only choice is A through D.


The photographs are actually pre-nameplate alteration, but light wasn't good enough to take a few more pictures tonight. I've cleaned out the little brown bit under the "t".

Sent from my Everest Jolson

5 comments:

  1. Unusual, very period color scheme. Nice :)
    Hm, adding height would be simplest I guess, and reversible. If face A is a bit flat then copper tape could work to wrap over and build up height.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really a gorgeous typewriter. :)

      The problem is it's just impossible to get into there to do that, unless if I remove the platen which would involve a lot of dismantling that I'm very hesitant to do. :/

      (Thanks for mentioning copper tape, I should get some)

      Delete
    2. I often use tin tape for this sort of thing, in case you can't find copper tape. It's used to repair heat ducts, available at any hardware store. It's also chrome-colored, a better match for chromed metal parts.

      Delete
  2. That must be so nice to type on (if my standard Everest is anything to go by).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's got a soft, light touch that isn't snappy (or too light like the original style Olympia SM9s are for me), but very comfortable to use. It's also very quiet!

      Delete