22 Feb 2017

Typewriters at the SFO Museum


I was contacted by the SFO Museum because they wanted to add some color to the mid-century section of their upcoming typewriter display (May 2017 to January 2018 in Terminal 2, if you're curious). They chose these four, along with two change-a-type kits.


At the end of last month, Daniel and Alisa made the drive from San Francisco to pick them up. We'd discussed by email the possibility of including my Moskva 4 in the international display as well, but space constraints prevented it.


But, after showing it to them, we decided I'd loan it to them and they'd try to fit it in anyway! Fingers crossed the space can be found for it! Many years ago (way before I started this blog) I'd had the idea to set up a typewriter display in my local library, but it never materialized. So I'm glad to finally be able to do something like this.


9 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting to display your typewriters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's been exciting, and I haven't even seen the display!

      Delete
  2. Exciting! Having seen your collection, they must have felt spoilt for choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't deny it, they were! They picked some good ones.

      Delete
  3. Congrats! Hopefully they include the. Moskva!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent! I knew that an SFO show was in the works, featuring some of Martin Howard's collection. The venue is outstanding. I'm in that airport usually at least twice a year, and there are always interesting exhibits that get seen by thousands upon thousands of people. And it's not just a few display cases, it's a long row of them professionally curated by real museum staff. This is a wonderful opportunity to share your treasures. I'm glad that I'll be able to see the show, since I will be in SFO this summer at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried I wouldn't get to see the display, but thankfully as a lender I get a tour!

      And it's definitely been a pleasure to work with real museum staff.

      Delete
  5. Good show, man! An excellent selection of colors (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi my name is Tom and I too have typewriters in the show (the Chinese and Japanese machines)! You probably already know but I just heard that they finished installing the exhibit. Can't wait to see!

    ReplyDelete