16 Nov 2013

Lada / Zhiguli / Volga

1980s Zhiguli

1970s Zhiguli

1970s Zhiguli station wagon


1980s Zhiguli

Zhiguli

Zhiguli

1980s Lada 1600

Lada

Lada

2000s Lada 2107

Lada

Lada

Lada Niva

Lada Niva

Often a Zhiguli has been repainted, like the burnt orange one above, over the original white. The majority of cars are, of course, not Soviet nowadays. I just find these to be the most interesting and fun to photograph. German cars are probably the most popular. A slight correction to my typecast; cars labelled "Lada", I believe, were sold in the Soviet Union, but only in the late 80s.

1960s Volga

Volga

Volga

Volga

Volga

Volga

1970s Volga

1970s Volga

Volga

Volga

Sent form my Olivetti Lettera 22

8 comments:

  1. Great collection of cars! I believe I like the Volga with the TMT plate and the Zhiguli's the most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These old boxy iron curtain cars remind me that my childhood (leftward-leaning) neighbour's pride and joy was a Москвич 427. I learned to swear while it was being repaired! Seriously, they were fairly popular in the UK in the 1970s because they were cheap. And you still see farmers and off-road drivers and the like using Lada Nivas - I think there's even an owners club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Москвич has a quaint-cute sort of appeal to it. I'm sure that Brezhnev would have been proud to know that you learned to swear because of his people's efforts. :)

      I believe that the original Lada Niva design has been sold in the UK as recently as 2010 after not being sold since 1997. I think it'd be neat to have one, honestly. They don't seem to have the same reputation as normal Ladas.

      Delete
    2. They joke in Russia that one should always buy a Lada (Zhiguli) second-hand because that way someone has already discovered what's wrong with it.

      Delete
  3. Love that old Volga! Great grill.

    I was in Czechoslovakia in 1990 and really enjoyed the Tatras with split rear windshields. Look them up, they are delightful cars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say I love pretty much every car they ever made...haha

      Tatras! I've always loved them in a silly sort of way, yet never seen one in person before.

      Delete
  4. I actually like some of those cars. I do not know that I would want one though. It is easy for us here in the USA to forget that not every country uses a vehicle for 3 years and replaces it with a new one. Here one would be considered really odd for keeping and using a 1970s car. Then I doubt one that old could even be used is California.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well - I remember basically all of these cars as I've seen them daily on the streets of the country I was born in.

    ReplyDelete